Monday, September 21, 2009

MP3 blog 2009/09/21

blog 2009/09/21 - A trip down memory lane to memories I never had but form with plastic

Did you know that memories can't be trusted? Given a certain willingness on both of our parts, so sensory deprivation and so narcotics, I bet I could eventually implant memories of your days in the swinging 60s and the flapperful 30s. (Because don't you know that everyone in the 30s was a flapper?)
So come with me on another special GOLDEN OLDIES post, as we try and rework the malleable outlines of memory and re-encode ourselves with the most awesomest of probably doubt and charismatic adventures, all set to music that came out long before I was of age to properly enjoy it as new and fresh.


First thing first, and I do mean first: I have been listening to a lot of big band jazz as of late., especially from the 1930s. It's just incredible stuff.
Actually, I have been frequently alternating between 30s big band and late 90s Japanese Noise. I don't really know why, and maybe it's not best to psychoanalyze too much, but it is akin to a Swedish bath where you go from the chilly waterfall to the hottub in a few short steps...
Benny Goodman - These Foolish Things (1935)
Glenn Miller - Moonlight Serenade (1939)
Larry Clinton - Over The Rainbow (1939)


Next up, we have sample sources. When we go back to music of prior decades, we are now looking back within a new context, where the hits of yore have mostly been recontextualized via youtube cover song or having their entire melody ripped verbatim for a Daft Punk track.
So here are three tracks I have been grooving to, each of which has been famously sampled.
George McCrae - I Get Lifted (1974): Most obviously sampled by Keith Murray on the appropriately titled "Get Lifted", as well on Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg.
The Winstons - Amen Brother (1969): Pretty much the most famous sample of all electronic music, the break at 1:26 was sampled and passed around as "The Amen Break", instantly adding 2 inches to Alec Empire's penis.
The Seeds - I Can't Seem To Make You Mine (1966): OK, so this one isn't so famous, but Diplo beautifully reworking the guitar line and the "Girl I love you..." vocal part for his track Put That Pussy On Me. But the song itself kicks so much ass, the way the guy yelps and cries after each line is gorgeous, and was a technique that seemingly inspired Ian Svenonius's style on The Make-Up.


The next batch will focus on 80s alternative rock. Technically, I was alive in the 80s, but really my musical education didn't even really begin starting until 1989, and then just barely.
Jim Carroll Band - People Who Died (1980): The recent passing of Jim Carroll was the reason for starting this post. I just needed any excuse to post this track. Her was a person who died. R.I.P.
The Motor Totemist Guild - Farmer Without Strings (1985): I love this quirky post-nowave avant rock that was under the surface in the 80s. Follow the paths from back then to modern artists like Final Fantasy and Parenthetical Girls, hell even Architecture In Helsinki. Tellingly enough, this track is from the compilation "California Outside Music Association". Nuff said.
The Tapes - (I Fall) Head First (1980): The Tapes LP 'Party' came as a surprise and a delight. Listening to old new-wave rock stuff, I just often can't be bothered to care, but here was this LP with quirky competency that rivaled The Talking Heads!
The Tapes - Lg_Dg (1980): You don't have to purr to be a cat girl!


Only 2 tracks in the next segment, but oh what 2 tracks they are. Dream pop bliss!
Anne Briggs - Fine Horseman (1971): If you listened to this track without knowing the date, you'd wonder if it was coming off a leaked Alela Diane album. 38 years later, this enigmatic folk style is back in flourish.
Nico - I'm Not Saying (1965): By no means obscure, but such a great song to return to.


And for the rest of this post, here's just a bunch more oldies from 64-81, a quality 18 years, easily summarized by the following 9 hits.

Anna King - Night Time Is The Right Time (1964): I love this gal.

Cilla Black - You're My World (1964): Such a sappy number! Total Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Harry Belafonte - Jump In The Line (1961): BELAFONTE IS FUCKING KING. OMG you need proof, just check him out on The Muppet Show. Super talented, a great humanitarian, and a perpetual hunk.

Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
- Just Dropped In (1968): Holy shit, I never would have thought there was a time in the world when Kenny Rogers was getting higher than Tom Petty.

Mama Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind Of Music (1969): You hear the opening strings and you know it's some good stinky cheese and you just love it. Go Mama, go!

Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun (1974): This song used to terrify me when I was a little child. A catchy pop song about DEATH? WTF? It's haunting and paradoxical and stuck with me through the years.

The Ad Libs - The Boy From New York City (1965): I have a huge heart-on for acapella doowop intros.

The Dixie Cups - Iko Iko (1965): This song blows my mind in it's clever addictiveness. A kid's jump-rope song has never been so satisfying.

The Stranglers - Golden Brown (1981): I first heard this song when Spooky Ruben covered it and put it on his Japan-only Wendy McDonald EP. I was delighted that the original was even better and featured a rare instance of pop-chart harpsichord.



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Anna King - Night Time Is The Right Time (1964)
Anne Briggs - Fine Horseman (1971)
Benny Goodman - These Foolish Things (1935)
Cilla Black - You're My World (1964)
George Mc Crae - I Get Lifted (1974)
Glenn Miller - Moonlight Serenade (1939)
Harry Belafonte - Jump In The Line (1961)
Jim Carroll Band - People Who Died (1980)
Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - Just Dropped In (1968)
Larry Clinton - Over The Rainbow (1939)
Mama Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind Of Music (1969)
Nico - I'm Not Saying (1965)
Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun (1974)
The Ad Libs - The Boy From New York City (1965)
The Dixie Cups - Iko Iko (1965)
The Motor Totemist Guild - Farmer Without Strings (1985)
The Seeds - I Can't Seem To Make You Mine (1966)
The Stranglers - Golden Brown (1981)
The Tapes - (I Fall) Head First (1980)
The Tapes - Lg_Dg (1980)
The Winstons - Amen Brother (1969)


Do you remember when we fell in love? We were young and innocent then. http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20090921.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

Get more details at:
DJ mixes: http://www.thetastates.com/
Blog archives: http://www.thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/
CPI fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/CPI/8176899482
Buy me books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/33BOJ22WFF9B4/?&sort=priority
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to: http://www.last.fm/user/cpi23

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment