Friday, November 27, 2009

[BEST OF 2009] INTRODUCTION

2009 is coming to a close!  Oh noes!  and Busta speaketh:  "There's only -9 years left!"

You know what that means...  time to get my ducks in a line, dust of the ole headphones, and figure out what the best albums of the year are!

Sure sure sure, December isn't over, or started, but fuck December.  I have to get my best of list out before all of those poseur sites like Pitchfork and Resident Advisor steal my thunder.
CPI'S MP3 BLOG 4 EVAH!!!!


Well, at least this list is the most relevant to me.  Because it's my favourites.  Me me me me.  Anyone who says "best albums of the year" should be slapped.  It all comes down to personal favourites and personal aesthetics. 

For example, some duds of the year:
Garage rock mavens, you bore me!  Sorry Wavves, sorry Pure of Hearts, sorry Girls.  Next time, learn some fun.
Aging rappers with hot beats but zero perspective!   I have no tolerance for people that have been on this earth for over 30 years but still rap bullshit like they are grade 9 thugs.  Raekwon, MF Doom, UGK, I'm looking your way.


And of course just remember:  your favourite albums suck.
But my favourite albums?  They are MY FAVOURITESTS!!
(note the distinction)

Things to remember:
 - if in my rambles I ever say "best of", please please please understand that I really mean "my favourite".  And if I ever say "download this", I really mean "I want pudding".
 - If I don't like it I don't like it, that doesn't mean that I hate it.  I'll let you know when I hate something.  But I won't tell you when I bite rhymes.
 - Information technology is spanning rapidly.  Music distribution is becoming easier and easier.  Musicians are connecting more and more, and great talent is being discovered at a rapid rate.  Low-cost tools are allowing more and more people to record opuses in their bedroom.  Each year, more and more fantastic music released.  Each year, I have somewhat less time than the year before to listen to it all.  I have a folder of 337 albums from 2009 I have yet to listen to, despite, having listened to about 3 a day for the past year, every day.

I should also say that beyond larger groupings of BESTEST, Amazing and good, I do not think I am going to bother rating albums against each other.




So here is how it is going to go down, chronologically speaking:

1) Great albums of 2008 that I didn't hear until 2009

Before we get to 2009, I want to send some love to a few beautiful 2008 albums that didn't make it my way until after the New Year's hangover.


2) My favourite DJ mixes, reissues and collections

Covering the year in collections, whether meshed by a DJ, packaged in a box set, or reissued for the nostalgia market.


3) CPI's favourite experimental albums for 2009

Since a number of you are scared of my wierder sides, I'm collecting my reviews and picks of experimental madness in to a single post.  This will have the effect of making sure harsh noise doesn't randomly intersperse itself amongst the folk-rock on your playlist.


4)  25 good albums of 2009, as selected by CPI

The 2nd runners-ups (up???)
Not sure yet how many numbers will actually be in this cateogry...  But generall this will be ranks 45 through 26.


5)  15 Amazing albums of 2009, as chosen by CPI

The runner-up category of simply stellar albums that weren't QUITE the best.
They won't be listed in a specific order, but these would be numbers 25 through 11.


6)  CPI's top 10 albums of 2009

Only the best of the best.  Utterly essential picks.
And OK, I might just be pretentious enough to crown a top for BEST ALBUM OF 2009.



(ARE YOU SO EXCITED?)

No comments:

Post a Comment