Sunday, March 21, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/03/21

blog 2010/03/21 - Let's just pop another one off for the weekend.

Man, I hate it when in my head I'm all "I'm just going to go bang on his door", but in real life my lips say "I'm going to go bang him".  Happens.
All.  The.  Time.
Embarassing, really.

There's a serious disconnect between the speed my thoughts go at and the speed they are released by my mouth.  A bottleneck occurs and certain words and concepts spill over and end up in my bra, the verbalised words often only approximating what I had hoped.

It's the same thing with this blog!  I don't know if you noticed, but I stopped spellchecking and previewing what I was writing in here.  Errors abound!  But fuckit, that's not what this is all about.
It's all about celebrating the fact that there is always always always tonnes of awesome new music for you to explore.

THE FUTURE IS EXCITING!  LET'S EXPLORE!


Arms - Tiger Tamer:  I kind of love the disaffected delivery of the vocalist here.  As soon as you think he's going atonal, he does a melodic swoop, and then plants firmly back into the smirky atonal goodness.

Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja
Die Antwoord - Wat Pomp ft Jack Parow:  While totally self-aware hipster constructions, Die Antwoord do deliver so hot goods.  It's been said before, but the internet does offer this brand of false identities mutating pop culture structures, but no one really cares when it's done with such skill.  The new album is $O$ and there are some definite hot tracks off there.  And the videos are a must-see.  It's like Snow meets Fagget Fairies.

DJ Mujava - Mugwanti & Sgwejegweje (Schlachthofbronx Remix):  Finally a worthwhile followup to the madness of Township Funk!  South African funky bass goodness.

Emeralds - Alive In The Sea Of Information:  Every once in a while something bubbles up from the no-fi cassette culture underground and breaks through to the more popular consciousness, and The Emeralds' 2009 album What Happened seems to be there.  Glistening psych textures evolve along, never resting in one spot for more than 60 seconds.

Frightened Rabbit - Living In Colour
Frightened Rabbit - Swim Until You Can't See Land
Frightened Rabbit - The Wrestle:   EEEEEEE!!!!! New Frightened Rabbit!  So exciting.  The Winter Of Mixed Drinks is here in 2010 and follows their development beautifully.  Taking their folk roots, upping the rock-out quotient, and even sliding in to some Twilight Sad-esque post rockisms, this album just gels perfectly and delights.  Highly recommended.

Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Blind
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - In Translation (Version):  You know what you don't hear on these tracks?  Vocals.  I just couldn't get in to the vocals on their new albu, "Wildling".  I've been following this band since their '96 single on Payola, and it has always been the arrangements that drew me to them.  These tracks, especially the enchanting In Translation (Version), will keep me checking out anything new they work on.

Miles Bonny - Nothin' But Chu:  A quick slice of downtempo soul...

Mr. Gnome - Slow Side:  Joanna Newsom meets Courtney Love!  Who knew?

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Hanuman:  From the 2009 album "11:11", this guy just melts my face off.  Absolutely beautiful/incredible guitar work here.  And it's STILL a great song, not just some guitar wankery.

The Tallest Man on Earth - A Lion's Heart
The Tallest Man on Earth - King Of Spain:  Long anticipated and finally here, The Wild Hunt is thew new album.  This guy inerhits the Bob Dylan spirit and pays it forward.  Now, this album hasn't caught me as powerfully as Shallow Graves did, there are still some shining lights on it.  And I fully respect this guy enough to give it repeated listens and allows the rest to grow on me.  Recommended for all folk and Dylan fans.

The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (Alan Wilkis Remix):  I love how this vocalist sounds almost like he's straight out of the 80s.  I could imagine a chorus like this coming from Human League or Men At Work, and I mean that as an enthusiastic compliment!  The core is a perfect little pop song.  The remix just chunks it up for the dance floor, the way it should be.

tUnE-YaRdS
- Youth:  And this little treat comes from the Real Live Flesh EP.  All hail bedroom recording geniuses!  See?  What did I tell you?  The future is good.


THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Arms - Tiger Tamer
Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja
Die Antwoord - Wat Pomp ft Jack Parow
DJ Mujava - Mugwanti & Sgwejegweje (Schlachthofbronx Remix)
Emeralds - Alive In The Sea Of Information
Frightened Rabbit - Living In Colour
Frightened Rabbit - Swim Until You Can't See Land
Frightened Rabbit - The Wrestle
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Blind
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - In Translation (Version)
Miles Bonny - Nothin' But Chu
Mr. Gnome - Slow Side
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Hanuman
The Tallest Man on Earth - A Lion's Heart
The Tallest Man on Earth - King Of Spain
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (Alan Wilkis Remix)
tUnE-YaRdS - Youth


It's the future!  No wait, now it's the future!  No, now!  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100321.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:
DJ mixes
Blog archives
CPI fan page
Buy me books
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment