Thursday, September 23, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/09/23

blog 2010/09/23 - one last hurrah, come on, just one!

It's been a while since you've felt the one-two punch of updates so close together, but alas I am falling behind and needed to toss another one out there.
Good luck!


Antony and the Johnsons - Fletta ft Bjork
Antony and the Johnsons - The Great White Ocean:  the new album is Swanlights and it is as gorgeous as you'd expect.  It's filled with more rapturous emotion than the existential despair of the last LP.
It also seems a bit more muted and tender.  I still have to listen to it a few more times, but I'm already in love.

Baby Huey - Hard Times:  Baby Huey hits us with a funky soul rework.  Pretty great.

Barn Owl - Light From The Mesa:  From the new album Ancestral Star, Bawn Owl plug another entry in to the sludge/doom/drone/fuzz wall that is the last 2 years.
Soothing.

Buke & Gass - Your Face Left Before You:  Sure, it's pop, but there's something so quirky about it's structure that I'm still mulling it over.

Cee-Lo Green - I Like It
Cee-Lo Green & Soko - I'll Kill Her:  OK, Stray Bullets kind of sucks.  The single is terrible.  But I had to highlight these two tracks.  First, I love the "I Like It" sample, as it harkens back to De La on the HBMS album.
And I thought that Soko track was super great when my old roomie Adam introduced me to it, and so I think Cee-Lo's response on top of it is kind of hilariously sleazy.  but oh Soko's cute cute cute accent!

Cheating Sons - The Last Queen:  Just some more adorable pop/rock/folk goodness.

Dems - Jarndyce vs Jarndyce:  You kind of expect it to be a totally chopped remix at first, but it surprises you by being a totally straightforward pop song, kind of reminding me of Lemonade.
  
Fire! Santa Rosa, Fire! - Test Crowd:  The garage-rockeyness kind of reminds me of the Japanese band Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, which is always a good thing.  I haven't heard the full album yet, but Sea Priest is the name, and Sleater-Kinney is the game.

Like Pioneers - Gift from a Holiday:  Taken from the new album "Piecemeal", here we have that group sing-a-long power pop that I can't help but describe as "anthemic".  but shit, anthemic verses?  I thought that was just for choruses.  Obviously, I'm wrong.  Oh so horribley wrong.

Mimicking Birds - Home and Somewhere Else
Mimicking Birds - The Loop:  The self-titled new album is fricking gorgeous, and incredibley addictive.  It is meditative and tender.
Highly recommended for fans of Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzalez and Liz Durrett.

Monarchy - Love Get Out Of My Way (Treasure Fingers Remix):  Hey Treasure Fingers!  *HIGH-FIVE*  Keep being awesome.

Mr. Dibbs - The Warpigs Routinev:  The routine is an oldie-but-goodie, but it has shown up as a vignette on the new Inducing Panic EP, so it's a perfect time to introduce it the uninitiated.

NeonFlash - Free Tranlation (Alex Casanova Remix):  Electro-ecstatic should be a new genre name.   Seriously.  It's even punny.

Parades - Past Lives:  Remember when I said I loved pop songs with male and female duets?  Yeah.  That.  From the new album "Foreign Tapes".

Parov Stelar - The Phantom (1930 Version):  If you know me, you know I love love love 1930s party music, and so am easily in love with any truck that uses it well.

The Naked & Famous - Young Blood:  There is a huge Passion Pit influence going on here, but hell, we always need more.



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Antony and the Johnsons - Fletta ft Bjork
Antony and the Johnsons - The Great White Ocean
Baby Huey - Hard Times
Barn Owl - Light From The Mesa
Buke & Gass - Your Face Left Before You
Cee-Lo Green - I Like It
Cee-Lo Green & Soko - I'll Kill Her
Cheating Sons - The Last Queen
Dems - Jarndyce vs Jarndyce
Fire! Santa Rosa, Fire! - Test Crowd
Like Pioneers - Gift from a Holiday
Mimicking Birds - Home and Somewhere Else
Mimicking Birds - The Loop
Monarchy - Love Get Out Of My Way (Treasure Fingers Remix)
Mr. Dibbs - The Warpigs Routine
NeonFlash - Free Tranlation (Alex Casanova Remix)
Parades - Past Lives
Parov Stelar - The Phantom (1930 Version)
The Naked & Famous - Young Blood


this weekend, shit is going DOWN!  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100923.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete